We’re local, we listen, We care!
Helping People With Hearing Loss in Lancaster, Ohio
How to Help a Loved One
Hearing loss is usually not something that happens overnight. Every day your loved one hears a little bit less. At first it’s hard for them to know if they really do have a problem, because sometimes they can hear and sometimes they can’t. But there are signs that you can look for to tell if they’re having a problem.
Signs of Hearing Loss
- Do they misunderstand conversations, especially in crowded areas?
- Do they turn the television or radio up so loud that it disturbs others?
- Do they favor one ear over the other?
- Do they feel that people speak too softly or complain that people mumble?
- Do they ask people to repeat what they said… more than you know
they should be asking?
- Do they have trouble understanding phone conversations?
- Do they not hear the turn signal in the car, or hear the doorbell or telephone ring?
- Do they complain about ringing or buzzing in their ears?
It’s really important to recognize that your loved one may be the last to admit their hearing loss. They may hear as loudly as they did 20 years ago but age or noise exposure or even medication have caused certain words, certain soft voices to seem blurred or mumbled. You can expect negative reaction if you mention hearing aids, so …talk about a complimentary check up to see what’s going on. There could be simple wax blocking the ear canal or a medical problem. Your loved ones first appointment is without cost and obligation. Everything is considered a free information visit. If hearing aids might help, either now or later, your loved one will be fully informed and hopefully more comfortable to trust us with their needs when they are ready. We’re a family business and our warm hometown atmosphere is full of smiles and hugs, not all clinical and distant. We will work hard to make your loved ones first impression of us like an extension of your loving care and concern.
Why don’t they want to do anything about their problem?
There are many reasons:
What can you do?
The best thing you can do for them is to convince them that it’s time to find out if they do indeed have a problem. Not everyone does, but the only way to find out the answer to the “Do I have a problem hearing?” question is to come in for a hearing test.
Call for an appointment today – it’s what we do.